There’s going to be a lot of kit-bashing going on, to give me a unique, visually interesting army, so I pick up some Death Company, and 2 Assault Squad boxes to begin with. I’ll also raid my bitz-box for more parts. This brings me over the £50 budget we’re supposed to have, but somehow I don’t think the store will mind someone spending extra…
After diving into my bitz-box I have the following pile of sprues stacked on my desk:
That’s for one Assault Squad…
I decided I’d make the Melta Assault Squad first, as I found a Combi-Melta for the Sanguinary Priest. I started with the priest, building him from a set of Death Company legs, and salvaged parts from the Command Squad kit, Sanguinary Guard, and Grey Knight Terminators.
I wanted the squad to look like they were charging into the thick of it, so nearly every model is posed to look like he’s running forward. The exceptions are the two Meltagunners, who are laying down supporting fire.
I’ve liberally sprinkled Death Company parts throughout – legs and arms mainly.
As everything is going to be at least base-coated using my airbrush, I’ve kept the heads, jump packs, and shoulder pads off of the miniatures for now (truth be told, at this point I haven’t assembled the jump packs).
Here’s the main parts ready for priming: